• Thu. Feb 22nd, 2024

Global Darpan

News & Media Website

NRNA World Conference will take place in Kathmandu from September 30 onwards

ByGlobal Darpan

Aug 7, 2023

Kathmandu : The 11th World Conference and General Assembly of the Non-Resident Nepali Association (NRNA) is scheduled to be held in Kathmandu from September 30 to Kartik 3 (October 17-20).

According to the executive president of NRNA, Dr. Badri KC, decisions have been made during a Sunday meeting of officials, including preparations for the Youth and Intellectual Conference during the same period.

The meeting has decided to reduce the candidacy fee for the upcoming General Assembly. According to Dr. KC, the candidacy fee for the youth and women’s office bearers has been reduced by 75 percent, and for other office bearers, including the president, it has been reduced by 50 percent.

Previously, there had been criticism due to the high candidacy fees, with fees exceeding 1 million for the president’s position and 500,000 for other positions. The meeting has also decided to open the registration for central representatives for the General Assembly from August 10 to 25.

In the first phase, 90 percent of the previous office bearers will be able to nominate themselves as representatives through the ‘Smart NRNA’ app, as informed by Dr. KC. The remaining 10 percent will be proposed by the Working Committee of the National Committee through a unanimous decision of the Executive Committee.

The meeting has approved the discontented parties’ demand to convene a special assembly on August 12 to endorse the agreement reached last month.

Likewise, last week, the NRNA USA General Assembly expressed concern over disrespectful behavior towards the central office bearers of the organization, including Chair Ravi Thapa. The meeting has decided to caution the current Working Committee through a letter regarding this behavior.

The meeting has also given direction to the Election Committee, which was formed earlier, to start preparations for the upcoming 11th General Assembly. The Election Committee will make the public announcement for the elections after finalizing the election calendar.

For the new leadership of the organization, Dr. Badri KC, Ravi Thapa, Dr. Hemraj Sharma, Mahesh Shrestha, and R.K. Sharma have started their preparations.